YOU Are the Cake! Findings From 70 Years of Psychotherapy Research
Are you a helping professional who sometimes feels like you're not sure you have what it takes to facilitate change? Early on in my days as a therapist, a mentor said to me, "YOU are the cake, Hillary." What does cake have to do with being a therapist?! She explained further, "Who YOU are, how YOU show up with clients, THAT is the bulk of our work as therapists. The skills and tools we bring to sessions are the icing, but remember, YOU are the cake." In this session, we will play around with the synthesis of the roots of humanistic psychology, Motivational Interviewing spirit, and who we are a...Read mores therapists as tools to enhance the change process with clients. We are in this business to help people change! Come learn about the key ingredients to this process! I will also share recent findings from 70 years of psychotherapy research from the 2021 book by Bill Miller & Theresa Moyers. Enhance your flavor of cake and learn evidence-based methods of showing up in the room. Less...
- Appraise internal and external expressions of three research based therapeutic factors.
- Describe 8 evidence based relational therapeutic factors.
- Compare and contrast three communication styles.
Saturday, March 25, 2023
11:00 AM EDT - 02:15 PM EDTRegister for this Webinar
About the speaker
Hillary Bolter, LCSW, LCAS
Personally, I have always found grounding in the wilderness. I completed my BA in Therapeutic Uses of the Wilderness in 2001 (yes, it's really a major, combining Counseling/Psychology with Adventure Education). For several years following graduation, I facilitated therapeutic wilderness trips for struggling youth before transitioning to community mental health. From there, I moved on to work with veterans in a mental health setting for 9 years. I graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill School of Social Work. I am dually licensed by the NC Social Work Board as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), and the NC Substance Abuse Professional Standards Board as a Licensed Clinical Addiction Counselor (LCAS). My private practice location is in Asheville, NC.
11:00a-11:15 Exploring our attempts to help people change
11:15-:30 Key Ingredient exploration, Favorite Mentor Activity
11:30-11:45 “Spirit” of Motivational Interviewing, key factors,
cultural humility and client values
11:45-12:00 Interview recording with my mentor about Relational
12:00-12:15 70 Years of psychotherapy research, an overview of 8
factors inward & outward expressions, plan to focus on 3 elements
12:15-:12:30 Exploration of Accurate Empathy, inward &
outward expressions, 12 Roadblocks to Listening
12:45-1:00p Complex reflection exploration and practice activity
1:00-1:15p Exploration of Positive Regard, inward and outward
expressions, Affirmations, personal writing activity
1:15p-1:30p Exploration of Acceptance, inward and outward
1:30-1:45 Self assessment writing activity and debrief, plans
for enhancing these elements of ‘self in the room’
1:45-2:00p Three styles of communication
1:45-2:00 Research overview, overview of framework Motivational
Interviewing offers as pathway to effective psychotherapy, Q & A.
CE Information - Earn 3 CE Credit Hours
American Psychological Association
Association of Social Work Boards
National Board for Certified Counselors
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
New York Education Department Board for Licensed Psychoanalysts
New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology
New York State Education Department's State Board for Marriage and Family Therapy
CE Process Info
Each professional is responsible for the individual requirements as stipulated by his/her licensing agency. Please contact your individual licensing board/regulatory agency to review continuing education requirements for licensure renewal. Please note: You must attend "live" (in real-time) to earn CE's.
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. Before the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
- Complete evaluation forms for the event
- Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 888-498-5578 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Emails for this event will come from "email@example.com". Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder in case those emails get "stuck". We'd also suggest "whitelisting" firstname.lastname@example.org. This tells your email client that you know this sender and trust them, which will keep emails from this contact at the top of your inbox and out of the junk folder.
1. This webinar will be hosted via Zoom, and you may be prompted to download or upgrade your Zoom app if using a mobile device. A strong WiFi connection will be required for best quality.
2. We recommend clicking your "Join Webinar" button early and checking that your speakers are on before the event begins. Please do not worry about being seen or heard! Attendee video feeds and mics are turned off by default when entering a webinar. You will be able to ask questions via the Q&A feature.
3. The webinar will be recorded and available for review by attendees for 30 days. Please respect that no copying, recording, or distribution of live session content is allowed. CE's are provided for the "live" sessions only. CE's will not be available for the recordings.
DisclosureDISCLOSURE OF RELEVANT FINANCIAL RELATIONSHIPS
CE Learning Systems, LLC is an independent provider of continuing medical education. CE Learning Systems, LLC has no proprietary or financial interest in medical or healthcare products over which the FDA (USA) or EMA (EU) has regulatory authority.
In accordance with our disclosure policies, CE Learning Systems, LLC is committed to ensuring balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor for all accredited continuing education. These policies include assigning relevance to, and mitigating, all perceived or real conflicts of interest between any individual with control over the content and any ineligible company (commercial interest).
Any individual with control over accredited content, including planner, faculty, and reviewer, is required to globally disclose:
1. Individual relationship(s) or lack thereof, and its nature, with any/all ineligible company, and;
2. any investigational, off-label, or non-FDA approved content or discussion
CE Learning Systems, LLC has reviewed these disclosures, assigned relevance based on the relationship and scope of content, and identified those with the potential to compromise the goals and educational integrity of the education. Relevant relationships, or lack thereof, are shared with the learner.
Education has been independently peer-reviewed to validate content, mitigate identified conflicts of interest, and ensure:
1. All recommendations involving clinical medicine is based on evidence that is accepted within the medical profession as adequate justification for their indications and contraindications in the care of patients.
2. All scientific research referred to, reported, or used in accredited continuing education in support or justification of a patient care recommendation conforms to the generally accepted standards of experimental design, data collection, and analysis.
3. Content is appropriate, fair and balanced, unbiased, referenced, and non-promotional.
The faculty have reported the following: There are no relevant disclosures.
The planners have reported the following: There are no relevant disclosures.