The Good Enough Therapist: Futility, Failure and Forgiveness in Treatment
It is the nature of being human to quest and to fail. Psychotherapy is unique amongst clinical enterprises in that failures in treatment, when understood and managed well, can actually serve the needs of the patient as well as the practitioner. Our capacity to fully experience, rather than fretfully sidestep, inescapable feelings of futility, helplessness, and despair when we are in therapeutic contact is one of the great gifts that we can offer those who consult with us. By investigating and interrogating the creative tension between feeling sufficient and insufficient, doubtful and certai...Read moren, graceful and inept, workshop participants will begin to encounter a deeper recognition of their own, and their patients’ vulnerability, resilience, imagination, and humanity. Accepting the inevitability of disappointing our patients, and of being disappointed by them, lays the groundwork for reciprocal healing and a mutually expanded capacity for self-recognition and self-realization. Less...
- Identify at least five (5) clinically maladaptive responses when faced with treatment that seems to have run aground.
- Identify the three (3) dimensions of forgiveness between therapist and patient that can help to dissolve stuck-points in treatment.
- Identify the four (4) components of grieving that help therapists to come to terms with their limitations as clinicians, and help patients come to terms with their limitations as individuals
- Intermediate to Advanced
Saturday, July 10, 2021
11:00 AM EDT - 02:15 PM EDTRegister for this Webinar
About the speaker
Brad Sachs, PhD
Dr. Sachs regularly writes articles on family life for magazines such as Redbook, Parenting, Parents, Child, and American Baby, is renowned for his creative and innovative treatment of children and families, and has lectured and led seminars and workshops both nationally and internationally. He has been interviewed on over three hundred radio and television shows, including The Today Show, 20/20, The Montel Williams Show, The Sally Jesse Raphael Show, and The Diane Rehm Show.
He is a graduate of Brown University, where he met his wife, Dr. Karen Meckler, a psychiatrist and medical acupuncturist, and together they have raised their three young adult children and assorted rescue dogs in Columbia, Maryland.
CE Information - Earn 3 CE Credit Hours
American Psychological Association
Association of Social Work Boards
National Board for Certified Counselors
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
New York Education Department Board for Licensed Psychoanalysts
New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology
CE Process Info
Each professional is responsible for the individual requirements as stipulated by his/her licensing agency. Please contact your individual licensing board/regulatory agency to review continuing education requirements for licensure renewal. Please note: You must attend "live" (in real-time) to earn CE's.
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. Before the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
- Complete evaluation forms for the event
- Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 888-498-5578 or by email at email@example.com
Please Note: Emails for this event will come from "firstname.lastname@example.org". Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder in case those emails get "stuck". We'd also suggest "whitelisting" email@example.com. This tells your email client that you know this sender and trust them, which will keep emails from this contact at the top of your inbox and out of the junk folder.
1. This webinar will be hosted via Zoom Webinar, and you may be prompted to download or upgrade your Zoom app if using a mobile device. A strong WiFi connection will be required for best quality.
2. We recommend clicking your "Join Webinar" button early and checking that your speakers are on before the event begins. Please do not worry about being seen or heard! Attendee video feeds and mics are turned off by default when entering a webinar. You will be able to ask questions via the Q&A feature.
3. The webinar will be recorded and available for review by attendees for 30 days. Please respect that no copying, recording, or distribution of live session content is allowed. CE's are provided for the "live" sessions only. CE's will not be available for the recordings.