Growing Our Work as We Grow Ourselves: Taking a Deeper Dive Into Client Intimacy and Family Relationships
Human sexuality, intimacy, and romance are among the most profoundly meaningful and driving forces in all our lives. And yet, when clients come into addiction and mental health treatment, how often do our clinical assessments, questions, and even the framing of clinical disorders avoid asking about the sex itself? Why is it that mental health and addiction professionals seem less comfortable exploring similar issues related to their adult sexuality and intimate relationships? How we can improve overall clinical care and clinical outcomes by clearly and openly assessing for sexual issues at the...Read more start of any treatment, especially if we wish to reduce recidivism among drug addicts and other emotionally challenged populations. Since Codependent No More became a self-help book sensation nearly 40 years ago, we’ve seen a torrent of book titles, articles, workshops, and even whole therapy centers centered around codependence work as a therapy concept. Codependency is what we know. But codependency has never been formalized as a diagnosis in the DMS or the ICD. In fact, there has never been a formal, criteria-based addiction or mental health diagnosis for the “issue” that we call codependency. So, what does this mean to our work today? This thought-provoking talk by treatment specialist, author, and speaker Dr. Robert Weiss LCSW asks attendees to question old assumptions and consider new ideas. Less...
- Utilize two new intervention skills for the loved ones of individuals with substance use disorders.
- Use a basic assessment for sexual addiction including three useful questions to add to current assessments.
- Differentiate healthy sexuality from pathological sexuality.
- Discuss the controversy associated with the term "codependency" in substance use treatment.
- All levels
Saturday, November 20, 2021
11:00 AM EST - 02:15 PM ESTRegister for this Webinar
About the speaker
Robert Weiss PhD, LCSW
CE Information - Earn 3 CE Credit Hours
American Psychological Association
Association of Social Work Boards
National Board for Certified Counselors
Make An Impact is a service division of CE Learning Systems.
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
New York Education Department Board for Licensed Psychoanalysts
New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology
New York State Education Department's State Board for Marriage and Family Therapy
CE Process Info
Each professional is responsible for the individual requirements as stipulated by his/her licensing agency. Please contact your individual licensing board/regulatory agency to review continuing education requirements for licensure renewal. Please note: You must attend "live" (in real-time) to earn CE's.
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. Before the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
- Complete evaluation forms for the event
- Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 888-498-5578 or by email at email@example.com
Please Note: Emails for this event will come from "firstname.lastname@example.org". Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder in case those emails get "stuck". We'd also suggest "whitelisting" email@example.com. This tells your email client that you know this sender and trust them, which will keep emails from this contact at the top of your inbox and out of the junk folder.
1. This webinar will be hosted via Zoom, and you may be prompted to download or upgrade your Zoom app if using a mobile device. A strong WiFi connection will be required for best quality.
2. We recommend clicking your "Join Webinar" button early and checking that your speakers are on before the event begins. Please do not worry about being seen or heard! Attendee video feeds and mics are turned off by default when entering a webinar. You will be able to ask questions via the Q&A feature.
3. The webinar will be recorded and available for review by attendees for 30 days. Please respect that no copying, recording, or distribution of live session content is allowed. CE's are provided for the "live" sessions only. CE's will not be available for the recordings.