Dying for Connection: Trauma, Social Engagement and Mood Disorders
In this insightful presentation, Dr. Barta uses a neurobiological model to reveal the cause and affect between early relational traumas and an inability to socially engage with others.
Dr. Barta applies Stephen Porges’ Polyvagal Theory construct to explore the healthy formation of the ventral vagal’s social engagement system and to demonstrate how early relational trauma maladapts this system and leaves the individual without the ability to socially bond which can result in addictions and/or mood disorders. Further, he discusses a counseling modality that may be useful to activate and stre...Read morengthen the social engagement system, thereby facilitating a solid sense of self, a positive self-concept, and the ability to securely bond with others. Less...
- Describe how early relational traumas can maladapt the social engagement which leads to the inability to bond.
- Explain how this maladapted system can lead to compulsive behaviors, addictions and mood disorders.
- Explain how to work with clients to repair their social engagement system enabling them to fully bond.
Wednesday, January 19, 2022
11:00 AM EST - 12:30 PM ESTRegister for this Webinar
About the speaker
Michael Barta, PhD
CE Information - Earn 1.5 CE Credit Hours
American Psychological Association
Association of Social Work Boards
National Board for Certified Counselors
Make An Impact is a service division of CE Learning Systems.
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
New York Education Department Board for Licensed Psychoanalysts
New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology
New York State Education Department's State Board for Marriage and Family Therapy
CE Process Info
Each professional is responsible for the individual requirements as stipulated by his/her licensing agency. Please contact your individual licensing board/regulatory agency to review continuing education requirements for licensure renewal. Please note: You must attend "live" (in real-time) to earn CE's.
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. Before the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
- Complete evaluation forms for the event
- Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 888-498-5578 or by email at email@example.com
Please Note: Emails for this event will come from "firstname.lastname@example.org". Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder in case those emails get "stuck". We'd also suggest "whitelisting" email@example.com. This tells your email client that you know this sender and trust them, which will keep emails from this contact at the top of your inbox and out of the junk folder.
1. This webinar will be hosted via Zoom, and you may be prompted to download or upgrade your Zoom app if using a mobile device. A strong WiFi connection will be required for best quality.
2. We recommend clicking your "Join Webinar" button early and checking that your speakers are on before the event begins. Please do not worry about being seen or heard! Attendee video feeds and mics are turned off by default when entering a webinar. You will be able to ask questions via the Q&A feature.
3. The webinar will be recorded and available for review by attendees for 30 days. Please respect that no copying, recording, or distribution of live session content is allowed. CE's are provided for the "live" sessions only. CE's will not be available for the recordings.
DisclosurePresenter Disclosure: Financial disclosures: The presenter(s) receive an honorarium for presenting this webinar. There are no nonfinancial relationships in the products or services described, reviewed, evaluated or compared in this presentation.
Commercial Support: There is no commercial support for any products to disclose.